Martin Nowak is officially MIA

Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 06:40:41 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 17 June 2015 at 18:35:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 6/17/15 5:38 AM, IgorStepanov wrote:
>> He returned back to github and posted some messages. End
>> alarm:)
>
> Glad to hear that. However, the need for two other release
> managers is still there.
>
> The role of Release Manager and "This Week In D" are the two
> ones somewhat special in the community: they're closest to an
> actual "job", in the sense that regularity and professionalism
> are crucial. You need to "show up" and do it. If "This Week in
> D" is not there on Sunday evening, it's not a weekly. If we
> have no release manager and no contingency plan, we can't
> release. In the future we'll have folks depending on this and
> planning ahead for it.
>
> You wouldn't just not go to work for two weeks and then show up
> at your desk as if nothing happened. This kind of stuff needs
> some level of planning, barring exceptional events. For
> example, Adam could tell his readership "I'll be on vacation
> next week, so no issue on August 9". Which is totally fine.
>
> I'm very happy Martin is doing well but I am disappointed about
> this unprofessional behavior. In fact I could only assume the
> worst because he seemed one of the most serious people I've
> dealt with, so this came as quite a major breakage of trust.
>
> With this we revoke Martin's role as release czar. His github
> access will remain the same for the time being.
>
> Until a replacement is found I will fumble with the release
> process myself, and I could use all the help I can get. In fact
> it would be a nice gesture of Martin to help with the
> transition. I'll be also counting on help from the more
> process-oriented members of the community. One note - 2.068
> will be delayed because I have a house move to deal with for
> the time being, not to mention being busy with std.allocator
> and std.collection.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

As others have said this seems a bit harsh.  I presume that by
'we' you mean that yourself and Walter arrived at this decision
together?

If you really felt the need to remove Martin from this position,
the appropriate way would have been to discuss this matter with
him privately, rather than effectively firing him on a public
forum.  That also comes across as somewhat unprofessional.

Based on the the discussion on the forum it appears that the
manner in which this decision has been executed has effectively
alienated pretty every good candidate who might have been a
replacement ... in addition to almost starting an OT religious
holy war.