Martin Nowak is officially MIA

anonymous via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 07:37:09 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 13:40:43 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
> As others have said this seems a bit harsh.  I presume that by
> 'we' you mean that yourself and Walter arrived at this decision
> together?
>
> If you really felt the need to remove Martin from this
> position, the appropriate way would have been to discuss this
> matter with him privately, rather than effectively firing him
> on a public forum.  That also comes across as somewhat
> unprofessional.

Exactly. One reason why people may decide to contribute to D, is
because they'd like to add it to their resume (a small piece of
compensation for their time). However, these forums can and do
show up in Google searches and publicly outing somebody using
their
full name, is unprofessional in this context. Now the one small
benefit he may have gotten from contributing, is potentially
squashed
due to carelessness on the leadership of this community. As a
potential
contributor, seeing this, is a non-starter.

> Based on the the discussion on the forum it appears that the
> manner in which this decision has been executed has effectively
> alienated pretty every good candidate who might have been a
> replacement ... in addition to almost starting an OT religious
> holy war.

This entire thread has reflected poorly on the D community.
Perhaps
the leadership here should take some tips from the Rust guys and
look to improve their handling with the VOLUNTEERS.

If I was Andrei, I'd publicly apologize to Martin for handling
this
so damn poorly and thank him for his work as volunteer (as many
have
stated the guy seems to do good work for this community). If I was
Martin, I would not continue on as the release guy, but this kind
of
gesture might give some hope to those out there in the community.

Part of being a professional is understanding the context you are
in
and behaving appropriately. This is not a corporation paying
employees.
This is an opensource project utilizing volunteers who get very
little
in return.