Better Tooling and Infrastructure for Releases

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 09:15:35 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 02:22:13 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:

> I would like to ask, what can we improve in our tooling and
> infrastructure to lessen the burden on release czars? I know
> nightly builds have been discussed for years, and it would be
> great to take advantage of the multi-platform infrastructure of
> the current autotester for it, but it doesn't look like that's
> going to happen.

In addition, I recommend taking a look at, providing feedback,
and futhering the development of reggae [1] [2] [3] [4].

[1] Repository - https://github.com/atilaneves/reggae
[2] Initial Post -
http://forum.dlang.org/post/ranqlmrjornlvopsuris@forum.dlang.org
[3] Phobos Test -
http://forum.dlang.org/post/kjbmzcnhhzlimfkjcsan@forum.dlang.org
[4] Further Enhancements -
http://forum.dlang.org/post/znaffgxodfpnjwggpwok@forum.dlang.org

In D, we have this extremely powerful, expressive, and even
beautiful language for describing and automating the most complex
of processes, yet we resort to headaches like makefiles to
automate our own work.  It's seems asinine.  I threw away make as
soon as I discovered rdmd.  No makefiles, no json, no new file
format to learn, no new syntax to learn, no new tool to learn, no
external platform-specific dependencies;  just the one tool we
know and love: the D programming language.

If we want more D progrmmers involved in the building,
verification, and packaging of our core tools, let's do it in D.

Mike