Martin Nowak is officially MIA

Morbid.Obesity via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 11:29:21 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 14:43:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Thanks all for the feedback; a follow up is in order seeing as
> there are a few misunderstandings of the situation.
>
> First off, framing this matter as impinging on someone's
> vacation is a misinterpretation. Taking time off has nothing to
> do with it - anyone should. Just Walter, myself, the "This Week
> in D" author, and the release manager please let us know so
> things can be planned accordingly.
>
> To thrive, we need to expand the inner circle of folks who are
> closely involved with D to the extent the community knows why
> they're missing when they're missing. Currently that circle
> includes only Walter and myself; if either of us would go dark
> for weeks without the other (and others) knowing, that'd be
> worrisome.
>
> To wit, I wrote this to Martin and Walter on May 31st:
>
> ====
> Today is May 31st, so we're entering the last month of H1. I'd
> like to get an early start on updating the vision document, and
> before creating yet another rambling thread on the forum I
> thought we should start between the three of us.
>
> What do you guys think would be the main points to attack in
> H2? Martin, it's particularly important to hear from you.
> ====
>
> I hope it's clearer that it was quite unsettling to not hear
> back about that or anything else.
>
> Regarding the volunteer vs. paid employee aspect - clearly
> that's a problem. All I can do now is work on the foundation
> and hope to find sponsors that would allow us to pay the
> release manager, the keeper of "This Week in D" and others.
>
> About the privacy aspect - the forum post came after repeated
> fruitless attempts of private contact. Addressing matters in
> person, privately, is of course the right way and the one I've
> tried through all channels I could think of.
>
> Building the process is a difficult and very important job. It
> stands to reason, then, that we need several folks who can do
> it and cover contingencies. Martin and I are in talks about
> building this release together; it would be great if we could
> get a broader participation.
>
> There's one more note of interest:
>
>> This is off-putting for me as someone who is getting steadily
>> more
>> involved in D, what other implicit contracts do you think
>> we've all
>> signed?
>
> None, of course. Far as I can tell the dynamics are as follows:
>
> * Walter and I can be counted on being around barring announced
> absences or exceptional circumstances.
>
> * Adam D. Ruppe, Walter, and I discussed that there will be
> consistency of "This Week in D". Announced outages are fine,
> "I'll do it when/if I get to it" is not.
>
> * The release managers should be counted on for planning and
> reliably carrying the release. I am now sorry I wasn't clearer
> about that.
>
> * There are a few folks with particularly important roles: Iain
> [...]

It sounds to me like you are legitimately doing everything you
can, that is great!!!! Without people like you, things don't get
done.

Just remember, some people need a break from things, get upset
over stupid immature stuff or misunderstandings. Remember, some
people are more emotionally equipped, or less, depending on your
perspective, to deal with "things"(life, arguments, etc).

My gut reaction was that you simply overreacted thinking either
he jumped the boat or got hit by one. Chances are neither
happened since those are the extremes(of course, you were hoping
for one or the other so your "disappointment" would be unfounded).

I would simply say, relax! ;) Solve the problem and move on!
Don't get caught up in it all. Find another *whatever* his job
was, someone to help him with the work load, or talk to him about
whatever got his panties in a wad.

In any case, true communication is the best line of defense
against these problems.

Which, I'm sure you agree and which is what upset you in the
first place: Since he failed to stay in communication. But this
came from some previous issues with communication which upset his
feathers or whatever.

Anyways, not everyone's the same! It's a good thing!