Why aren't you using D at work?

Wyatt via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 13:09:55 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 16:04:05 UTC, Chris Piker wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 10:17:49 UTC, lobo wrote:
>>> About the only thing really holding me back is that the local
>>> sys-admins can't:
>>>
>>>   $ yum install gcd
>>>

>> Can you install to $HOME ?
>
> I can do that, but there are other developers in our group.  We
> need to be able to build each other's software.  Java, Python
> and C are accepted as standard languages around here and seem
> to cover all our needs.  Since we have a "complete set" adding
> a new one would be met with resistance.  Having command line
> tools available through standard software distribution channels
> would soften this resistance.

If DMD is sufficient, I'm not really any problems.  Even FHS has
your back.  Sysadmin does this:

cd /opt;
wget
http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/2.x/2.067.1/dmd.2.067.1.linux.zip -qO tmp.zip \
&& unzip tmp.zip \
&& rm tmp.zip \
&& echo 'export PATH="${PATH}:/opt/dmd2/linux/bin64"' >>
/etc/profile

...and voila.  It might be kind of nice to have a "latest"
symlink for the download (e.g.
http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/latest/dmd.latest.zip), but
that'd just be icing.

Alternatively, ask have them make you a group-writable volume to
use as a --prefix for everything that you might want (we ended up
doing this because CantOS so strongly resembles LFS when you want
to accomplish anything useful).  Or have people add ~cpiker/bin
(or whatever your HOME is) to their PATH in ~/.profile (or just
add the path in your Makefiles, if you're feeling evil).

It could certainly be better, but I wouldn't personally consider
it a blocker as things are.

-Wyatt