Better Tooling and Infrastructure for Releases

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 13:41:44 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 16:15:37 UTC, Mike wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 02:22:13 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
> wrote:
>
>> I would like to ask, what can we improve in our tooling and
>> infrastructure to lessen the burden on release czars? I know
>> nightly builds have been discussed for years, and it would be
>> great to take advantage of the multi-platform infrastructure
>> of the current autotester for it, but it doesn't look like
>> that's going to happen.
>
> In addition, I recommend taking a look at, providing feedback,
> and futhering the development of reggae [1] [2] [3] [4].
>
> [1] Repository - https://github.com/atilaneves/reggae
> [2] Initial Post -
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/ranqlmrjornlvopsuris@forum.dlang.org
> [3] Phobos Test -
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/kjbmzcnhhzlimfkjcsan@forum.dlang.org
> [4] Further Enhancements -
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/znaffgxodfpnjwggpwok@forum.dlang.org
>
> In D, we have this extremely powerful, expressive, and even
> beautiful language for describing and automating the most
> complex of processes, yet we resort to headaches like makefiles
> to automate our own work.  It's seems asinine.  I threw away
> make as soon as I discovered rdmd.  No makefiles, no json, no
> new file format to learn, no new syntax to learn, no new tool
> to learn, no external platform-specific dependencies;  just the
> one tool we know and love: the D programming language.
>
> If we want more D progrmmers involved in the building,
> verification, and packaging of our core tools, let's do it in D.

I'm going to carry on trying to convert posix.mak to a D
description in reggae on a branch of my phobos clone, basically a
continuation of [2] above.

The idea is to replicate the exact behaviour and targets, submit
a pull request to add the reggaefile.d file and have people try
it out and see how they like it.

I'd do the Windows makefiles too but there's a dmd bug preventing
reggae from compiling at all on that platform. I might fix the
bug myself.

In the meanwhile I'm busy enough with std.experimental.testing.
Nevermind "life", "girlfriend" and that really annoying timesink
called "job".

Atila