D could catch this wave: web assembly

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 15:07:05 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 21:51:15 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> Now there is 2 standard, one that is actually pretty good, but
> supported only by google, and another one that is retarded, but
> supported more widely. As nobody want to admit they fucked up,
> the whole joyous band of over-bloated bogus standard designers
> decided to bless us with a 3rd "standard" that is roughly
> equivalent to PNaCl, but is not PNaCl, because pride is more
> important that webdev's sanity.

I looked into PNaCl a bit, but when it comes to Google I always
get the feeling that they feel it is sufficient to make native
programming possible rather than pleasant. Same for Android NDK,
and some might say Go (perhaps unfair).

In that respect WebAssembly is a good thing, if it takes off, the
browser-competition means that they will need to focus on
tooling/in-browser-debugging.

I haven't been able to figure out if it will support a GC?