D could catch this wave: web assembly

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 18 15:20:22 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 18 June 2015 at 22:07:06 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> I looked into PNaCl a bit, but when it comes to Google I always
> get the feeling that they feel it is sufficient to make native
> programming possible rather than pleasant. Same for Android
> NDK, and some might say Go (perhaps unfair).
>
> In that respect WebAssembly is a good thing, if it takes off,
> the browser-competition means that they will need to focus on
> tooling/in-browser-debugging.
>
> I haven't been able to figure out if it will support a GC?

PNaCl is not meant to be used as such. You do you code in some
other language and compile it to PNaCl.

Mozilla made it a Google thing. They basically dropped the
project int he middle of the road to push their alternative
standard, asm.js . This created the mess we see here in the first
place.

They fucked up and now don't want to admit it, so now we need 3
"standards" instead of one.