split up the changelog?

anonymous via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 19 08:59:58 PDT 2015

The changelog.html file is at about 1MB. That makes for a
noticeable load time. And with all the issue lists, it's also a
pretty solid wall of text: "Wait, is all this still for 2.067.0?
Did I miss a version heading? I think I'm lost."

Let's split it up by version!

Pull request:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/1006

Preview:
http://d-ag0aep6g.rhcloud.com/changelog/index.html

I think these are the typical use cases for the changelog:

1) Looking up the changes in the latest or some particular
version: This benefits from a shorter load time and no more
unrelated content.

2) Finding the version which made a particular change: This can't
be done with Ctrl+F anymore, as Vladimir Panteleev (CyberShadow)
mentions in the PR discussion. He also gives the alternative:
google with "site:dlang.org/changelog". Good enough?

3) Reading through language history: This becomes more pleasant
with a split changelog, as you don't have to scroll over pages of
bugzilla issues anymore to get to the good stuff: prose and code
samples.

Opinions?