D could catch this wave: web assembly

Marco Leise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 20 05:06:50 PDT 2015

Am Thu, 18 Jun 2015 08:05:46 +0000
schrieb "John Colvin" <john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com>:

> This appears to have involvement from all major browser vendors,
> which provides hope it might actually catch on properly. An llvm
> backend will be created which will compile to "wasm", hopefully
> LDC and/or SDC could glue to this.
>
> https://www.w3.org/community/webassembly/
>
> https://github.com/WebAssembly
>
> In particular, see
> https://github.com/WebAssembly/design/blob/master/HighLevelGoals.md https://github.com/WebAssembly/design/blob/master/FAQ.md and https://github.com/WebAssembly/design/blob/master/MVP.md

I'd be more happy with code that runs outside and independently
of the browser, but it seems to be the trend to move
everything into virtual machines and browsers. I see the main
reason notebooks have to be replaced every few years as once
again <memory per open tab> * 15 >= 50% <installed system ram>.

If you have a perfectly working old notebook with Windows XP
on it, I can recommend QtWeb for its low resource usage and
modern-ish feature set. It is a little unstable and rough
around the edges though: http://www.qtweb.net/

--
Marco