D could catch this wave: web assembly

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 20 09:45:21 PDT 2015

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 12:32:11 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> On 06/20/2015 12:20 PM, ketmar wrote:

>>> Hmmm, what do you mean by normal constraints?
>>
>> google://cassowary
>>
>> that is a *real* constraint engine. what we have in css is a half-assed
>> attemt to emulate the real engine without the engine itself.
>>

> I can see why people aren't familiar with that and it's approach:
> There's zero front-page examples, and any basic "examples 101", "how to
> use it" seem well-buried. Most people are gonna take one brief look and
> move on. It seems to really need some better PR.

it's actually a tool for toolkit builders, not for end users. cassowary
itself is only a solver, it doesn't even have syntax to setup constraints
(toolkit builder must invent an implement one).

so it's hard to make example for it which doesn't resemble a wall of text
several pages long only to layout three elements.

the real power of cassowary is it's dynamic constraint solver. but it
needs to be combined with user-friendly constraint syntax, or it will be
unusable. so cassowary authors have to write their own toolkit only to
show some impressive examples on site! ;-)

besides, cassowary comes from "university culture", where user-friendly
presentations are bad or non-existent.

tl;dr: i completely agree with you! ;-)