Future(s) for D.

Tobias Müller via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 21 06:24:14 PDT 2015

Nick Sabalausky <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:
> On 06/20/2015 12:34 PM, ketmar wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 12:23:59 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>> let's compare numbers for php, java, ruby, js -- and D. most companies
>> will not bet on language for which a pool of "hireable" developers is
>> small. and it's understandable: two developers quit, and the project is
>> dead, doomed to complete rewrite in another language. sheesh!
>>

> Well, not really. I mean, managers and HR all *believe* that to be so.
> But that's because pretty much all non-programmers, even ones in the
> software dev industry who really should know better, are stuck in this
> bizarre idea that programming skills are somehow non-transferable between
> languages. Which is obviously total bullcrap, but try explaining that to
> self-assured HR folk and other pointy-hairs.
>
> Hell, my first introduction to JS, ASP (yea, it was a long time ago) and
> web-dev in general was on-the-job as a fresh hire, and I was up to speed
> in like a week or so, if even that.
>
> The one thing relevant here that has *never* left my mind:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html
>
> Favorite part:
> "The recruiters-who-use-grep, by the way, are ridiculed here, and for
> good reason. I have never met anyone who can do Scheme, Haskell, and C
> pointers who can't pick up Java in two days, and create better Java code
> than people with five years of experience in Java, but try explaining
> that to the average HR drone."
>
> So true.

But do you also think that the average java code monkey will pick up D
equally fast?
For many programmers, programming is just a job, not more. They don't
program in their spare time and are not really interested in programming
languages as you are.

Java is a very simple language. That means if you're a power user, you will
be limited by that, but as an average programmer this means you can
understand code written by others.

D on the other hand is a quite complex language. You can write nice and
concise code in D, but that doesn't mean that the language is simple.