Naming things

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 22 00:17:54 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 20 June 2015 at 09:27:16 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:

> Two examples of controversial name pairs: setExt/setExtension,
> and toLower/toLowerCase. These functions have the same
> functionality, but one of them is eager, and the other is lazy.
> Can you guess which is which?

Yikes!  That should have never passed scrutiny in the pull
request.  I'm sorry I didn't see it, as I would have voiced
opposition to it.  I only just started monitoring Phobos this
week.  My work doesn't really require me to use Phobos much.

> It would be unfortunate if we were to have such warts in D, so
> I think we should at least not outright reject PRs which fix
> them.

I totally agree.  I was really excited about D a year and a half
ago, and what really lit my fire was Andrei's talk about
"Operational Professionalism" at DConf 2013.  At that time, I
thought, "Wow, this community really cares about getting things
right".  How naive of me :)  But, I'm still here...perhaps
foolishly.

It makes me disappointed to see contributions that dot the 'i's
and cross the 't's get turned away and belittled.  But, I don't
think there's anything I can do about it, and although you've
made an excellent argument, I've gathered enough wisdom in my
time here to make a reasonable prediction of the outcome.  I also
believe the relatively little response you've received in this
thread is likely not an indication that few care, or that few
support your argument, but rather that they've seen it before,
and they know how it ends.

Mike