auto ref is on the docket

Namespace via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 00:19:41 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 at 01:01:26 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 6/22/15 4:09 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> There is no reason to prevent templates from using the
>> mechanism that
>> generates only one copy. The two mechanisms shouldn't share
>> the same
>> syntax, because then there is no way to tell them apart for
>> template
>> functions.
>
> I understand. For my money I'd be okay with what's being
> proposed instead of complicating the language yet again for the
> perfect solution. -- Andrei

There is no perfect solution. :) Some are for in/scope ref, some
are against it. Some are for auto ref, some are against it and
even a few are for const ref but most are against it. So the
perfect solution does not exist. And since scope/in ref was
already rejected (DIP 36) I think auto ref is the only choice to
introduce this feature without introducing a new attribute. And
since you reverted the introducing of virtual because it has not
enough value, I'm sure that introducing a new attribute just to
accept both, lvalues and rvalues, wouldn't have enough value as
well. I think the way it is implemented right now is good enough,
but what matters is what you and Walter think.