Future(s) for D.

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 01:49:44 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 20 June 2015 at 17:10:27 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 06/20/2015 12:34 PM, ketmar wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 12:23:59 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>> let's compare numbers for php, java, ruby, js -- and D. most
>> companies
>> will not bet on language for which a pool of "hireable"
>> developers is
>> small. and it's understandable: two developers quit, and the
>> project is
>> dead, doomed to complete rewrite in another language. sheesh!
>>

> Well, not really. I mean, managers and HR all *believe* that to
> be so. But that's because pretty much all non-programmers, even
> ones in the software dev industry who really should know
> better, are stuck in this bizarre idea that programming skills
> are somehow non-transferable between languages. Which is
> obviously total bullcrap, but try explaining that to
> self-assured HR folk and other pointy-hairs.
>
> Hell, my first introduction to JS, ASP (yea, it was a long time
> ago) and web-dev in general was on-the-job as a fresh hire, and
> I was up to speed in like a week or so, if even that.
>
> The one thing relevant here that has *never* left my mind:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html
>
> Favorite part:
> "The recruiters-who-use-grep, by the way, are ridiculed here,
> and for good reason. I have never met anyone who can do Scheme,
> Haskell, and C pointers who can't pick up Java in two days, and
> create better Java code than people with five years of
> experience in Java, but try explaining that to the average HR
> drone."
>
> So true.

Yeah. A guy I know had a hard time finding a job with Java. HR
would always demand experience with this or that build tool and
stuff like this. As if you couldn't learn this in a week or less,
at least enough to be able to contribute to a project. Actual
programming skills never seemed to be really important. Weird.