D could catch this wave: web assembly

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 09:18:00 PDT 2015

On 06/23/2015 09:44 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Nick, you might be interested in this quick thing I just wrote up:
>
> http://arsdnet.net/articles/web-apps.html
>
> A few years ago, I was talking about a new windowing system... and
> believe it or not, I'm still slowly moving forward with it, but I think
> existing X is good enough to start with for this idea.
>
> My old thing was about thin clients used through the web.

Yea, totally! Actually, that windowing system of yours has been in the
back of my mind whenever I think of "web apps" for the past several
years since you first put it up.

Although I wouldn't put too much reliance on X, what with Wayland on the
way.

 > Well, I like
> downloading programs too sometimes, can we solve that problem? Web apps
> do an ok job, so do app stores. Let's get the best of both worlds:
> download a program that targets a standard Linux VM distributed with
> browsers. I go into a bit more detail in the link.

Yea, I'll have to take a closer look at that. My first impression is
that "Linux VM" sounds very heavy-weight, but I supposed it need not
necessarily be.