D could catch this wave: web assembly

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 11:56:09 PDT 2015

On 06/23/2015 12:37 PM, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?=
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 at 11:09:31 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> This is nonsense.  They're just dumping in everything they can think
>> of, that has nothing to do with backwards-compatibility.
>
> Web tech is pretty good at backwards-compatibility. Not sure why anyone
> would argue against that.

Relatively speaking, yea, although it's not 100%:

There were ways to embed A/V in a page since ages ago, but HTML5
browsers (most notably Chrome, as I recall) eliminated comparability
with that when they put in the "new and better" way to do it. This was
some time ago, but I ended up having to resort to Flash just to play an
audio file, just because Chome refused to allow the old way, and some of
the other browsers at the time (not just IE) didn't support the new way.
(Yea, yea, I know, webpages with audio are evil, but this was a decision
coming down from higher up for a project that was going to be used in
nursing homes.)

And of course *that* method of playing audio broke once iOS Safari got big.

And then browser add-ons keep getting broken by automatic browser
updates. At least on FF, anyway.