Phobos addition formal review: std.experimental.allocator

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 15:07:46 PDT 2015

On 6/23/15 2:12 PM, Dicebot wrote:
> So you have chosen worst of both worlds - neither give power users
> ability to fine tune imports nor allow casual users always go with
> `import std.allocator` and be happy? :)

There is functionality in std.allocator to get anyone started who
doesn't want to sit down and define their own allocator.

People who want to do that can import std.allocator.building_blocks
which is a package fully including all that's needed.

> If anything, that will be the first package.d in Phobos (AFAIK) which
> won't feature public import of _all_ package modules.

I'm not afraid of creating precedent if that's the best way to go.
Again: I have the impression we're blocked into an assumption we didn't
take critically until now.

Andrei