std.uni.toLowerCase / .toUpperCase

Meta via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 23 16:17:53 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 at 22:58:32 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 at 22:45:10 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
> wrote:
>> A rename can be proposed by creating a subthread: [...]
>
> Rationale:
>
> As with setExt, std.uni already contains functions called
> toLower/toUpper, thus the only difference in name is that the
> implied word "Case" is omitted. The distinction is not
> memorable.
>
> Proposed new name: lowerCased / upperCased

I really hate this naming scheme for functions that take lazy
parameters. I still don't see why we don't do the (IMO) simplest
and most intuitive thing and name them lazyToLower / lazyToUpper
(or toLowerLazy / toUpperLazy). There is precedent with C#'s
handling of async functions; for example, AccessTheWebAsync or
GetStringAsync[1]. Your proposed naming scheme seems like it's
trying to be too "clever" and really just ends up causing
unnecessary confusion. This is not Ruby.
[1]https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh191443.aspx