D could catch this wave: web assembly

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 24 04:44:09 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 at 18:58:00 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> nope, X is a window system. it's windows which is *not* window
> system, but window system with very simplistic toolkit bolted
> on top of it. that was not a bad idea considering the hardware
> windows aimed, but now it's a legacy crap, and almost anyone is
> hacking around it.

That's just OO wrappers.

>> Knowing minimal size won't help you if the amount of
>> information simply doesn't fit.
>
> somehow it still works for me.
>
>> Dialogs can be scrolled, but master-detail views can't:
>> master and detail views already reserve scrolling for
>> themselves, so it
>> can't be reused for the entire window, well, at least it won't
>> work
>> naturally.
>
> i believe that we should stop here, as we are clearly talking
> about different things. i can't even imagine why widget may
> want to "reserve scrolling for itself" and what that means. and
> i can't see why any part of window can't be scrolled,
> especially when you have a clear widget hierarchy, and detail
> views living in their own containers.

I'm talking about native UI getting screwed up on high DPI.
Native UI is supposed to fit whatever space it's given, otherwise
it works, but not as good as it's supposed to. Imagine your
desktop doesn't fit the screen and gets scrolled. On the other
hand web was supposed to be scrolled from the beginning, hence it
can better adapt to different settings.