Convert std.random to a package

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 24 07:16:02 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 24 June 2015 at 12:15:10 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> As I promised at DConf (though sadly arriving a bit later than
> I'd hoped), I've submitted a PR to convert std.random to a
> package:
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3406
>
> I'd like to ask for some attention to this because, first, I
> think it's important that we agree that this particular package
> structure is correct/logical, and second, I really don't want
> to have to rework this if anyone commits to std.random in the
> meanwhile ;-)
>
> Beyond perhaps documentation issues I hope this PR should be
> fairly non-controversial and easy to approve (or disapprove).

Is there any point in doing this if we're going to be redesigning
std.random as you've been working on? In fact, it could get in
the way of that, since we could potentially just make the new
version be modules in the package, and the old version be in
std.random.package (meaning that if you imported std.random, you
get the old, deprecated stuff, and if you import std.random.foo,
you get the new stuff).

- Jonathan M Davis