D could catch this wave: web assembly

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 24 08:34:07 PDT 2015

On Monday, 22 June 2015 at 21:50:22 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Interesting. I'll have to look into that more. (Such as, will
> it run on Android phones or does it need separate hardware?)

Well, the commercially-released phones (two so far from BQ
Readers, and one to be put on sale in the EU either today or
tomorrow by Meizu) all come with Ubuntu pre-installed, but from
what I understand it should be possible to port to run on any
device which Android can run on:
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/start/ubuntu-for-devices/porting-new-device/

Embedded OS architecture isn't really my comfort zone, but as far
as I can see, they use an Android-derived hardware compatibility
layer where any proprietary components (drivers etc.) are
isolated from the rest of the OS.  The idea is that the Ubuntu
OS, the applications, and the hardware support can all be updated
independently of one another, i.e. a manufacturer can't lock you
in to a particular OS version through the need for particular
proprietary hardware drivers.