D could catch this wave: web assembly

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 24 09:18:09 PDT 2015

On 06/24/2015 03:25 AM, Joakim wrote:

> I simply disagree that taking one feature, multi-window UIs, is
> "convergence" in any meaningful sense, so you can say they've just
> become "desktops."  I've tried to persuade you and Kagamin otherwise and
> appear to have failed. :)

Well, I guess it's good that you disagree with that, because I never
said it ;)  I never claimed that adding one feature alone is
convergence. I keep repeating over and over that that PLUS all the other
things I'm now tired of mentioning all collectively constitute something
that lies in-between traditional "mobile" and traditional desktop, but
you seem quite insistent on ignoring that.

And I'm also not saying they'll become desktops, as that directly
contradicts the whole "lies in-between traditional mobileand traditional
desktop" thing.

> Supposedly they've made voice translation work completely offline a
> little while back, though I'm not sure if they still use the online mode
> by default.

That's good to hear.

> As you said, editing can be done through a voice interface too. It's
> just not common yet and people are still getting familiar with that new
> voice editing process.  I bet editing could actually be made much faster
> through voice, particularly for large documents.  I agree with you about
> text email being preferable to telephone calls for many kinds of
> communication, but that's not relevant here, as you're sending a
> voice-transcribed text email if you're using voice translation.

I don't doubt that'll happen, it may even become widely popular. But I
do seriously doubt it'll ever be as good as a more direct (physical)
interaction. And I don't see that so much as a technological problem as
a basic human nature one.