New names - 2.068 roundup

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 24 13:56:30 PDT 2015

First, very good initiative.

I'd like to raise concern about the Arguments name in std.meta .
That is not the first time I do so, but this still needs to
change.

Arguments is not a good name. In the very example from the
std.meta doc, Arguments is used as parameter and not as argument.
I think this is naming failure just right there.

It can also be used as argument. It can be used as parameter. It
can be used to build tuple. It can probably be used in way that
haven't been invented yet.

Naming that thing after one of its use is a bad idea. It is
generally a bad idea as future use of the concept tends to not
conform with the original name and everything becomes confused.

In that specific case, it is not even future uses that will be
non conformant, it is current use in the very documentation that
is.

I discussed various names with many at DConf. The name that
seemed to be, if not preferred by all, the one that nobody had
any strong reason to be against is Sequence. Can we use that ?