hello world executable size

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 25 05:15:25 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 25 June 2015 at 12:04:26 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 June 2015 at 11:59:24 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> Took 90 MiB of JSON to see it, but finally got it, funny how
>> executable size swings wildly up to five times larger over the
>> years. :) Anyway, I saw that viewer when you announced it
>> before: any plans to add it to the github PR checks, along
>> with your recent check for documentation info?
>
> Would you believe me if I said that this obvious (in
> retrospect) idea hasn't crossed my mind yet?

I figured that's where you were going when you announced it. :)

>> Does it show sizes somewhere?  Here's the dependency list for
>> my binary:
>>
>> http://thecybershadow.net/d/mapview/data/558be3dfde121.html
>
> Try the treemap form (above the dependency explorer form).

I didn't know how to generate the .map file, I now see it's
mentioned on the wiki:

http://wiki.dlang.org/Development_tools#File_size_profiling

Looks nice:

http://thecybershadow.net/d/mapview/view.php?id=558bef76234eb

Surprising that core.* and gc.* are almost as large as std.*, but
I guess "hello world" isn't going to exercise that much of
phobos. :)