I released my first library!

Kelet via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 25 17:45:39 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 25 June 2015 at 14:56:34 UTC, Vladde Nordholm wrote:
> For the past week I've been working on my first small
> cross-platform gamedev-ish console rendering library for d, and
> I call it clayers. It has been a fun learning process, as I've
> used many new programs and features.
>
> The whole thing is written in vim, which I've never used until
> now. I got a better understanding of how git works by using the
> terminal, instead of a GUI. For the first time I used version()
> for different functions. Finally, I added a releasetag, and
> then registered it to dub.
>
> While I didn't think about it while writing the code, I've
> gotten a better knowledge of how all of these things work. And
> this extra stuff I learnt without even thinking about it. GC is
> something I've never though about before, but thanks to people
> from #d I now have a better understanding of how it works.
> Thanks!
>
> As for actually writing code: I've gotten to design the library
> myself, debugged it, and everything that comes with making an
> library. I've had discussions with people about the rendering
> and generally come to good terms with many in the #d channel.
> Thanks to the whole D community it became more fun than I'd
> ever imagine.
>
> Thanks for being here D-people!
>
> ---
>
> The dub package: http://code.dlang.org/packages/clayers

Awesome, congrats on releasing your first library. If you intend
to work on it further, I'd like to see:
- A way to call a function when a specific key is pressed (key
binding)
- More portability, better support for other terminals; see
termbox source code for a reasonable level of portability
- Colors! But I guess we could probably combine your library with
the "color" library for that, right?

I do enjoy the gif that shows the functionality. I bet using
Unicode characters for borders and such would look nice.