D needs a programming blog and some house keeping

biorelated via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 26 01:47:03 PDT 2015

I have only recently stated learning D,coming from
Ruby/Python/Perl dynamic languages.  I bought TDPL and I have
read Ali's book and I bought Adam Ruppe's D programming language
cookbook. These are amazing books and they have taught me a lot.
more than I ever knew and I  have to thank D and the D community
for developing the language.

I have peeped through the fence to view the neighbour's (Rust)
lawn and it is well kept. How do I put this? D is a fantastic
house with a lot of amenities and fantastic family members. The
family keeps to itself and does not make effort to showcase how
awesome they are. Please write blog posts and reports a little
more.  It would be great if Walter kept a programming blog and
the same for Andre to shared personal thoughts on
thorny/fantastic issues on D. Rather than share them with family
only. Why? Because to grow the D family is more about adopting
grown up children than giving birth.

Excite me the new comer, keep me busy learning. Don't let me pee
all over the house before I find the bathroom. I mean D's
documentation can be improved. It just takes a long time for a
new comer to figure things out from the current docs.

I have learnt that a lot of fantastic discussion happens at the
forums. My problem with threaded posts is that there are often
more than 2 to 5 subtopics going on in a single thread.  I find
it difficult to follow threads and when I do it is painful to
sift through the discussion. I also find it difficult to watch
video. I love to read, underline, go back to the previous
paragraph, pause., pick from the last bookmark.  With video I
cannot do that without a lot of effort. Maybe it is just me.

D's  mailman is often late.
D's twitter account is rarely updated. I often rely on
programming language accounts  to learn the latest. But even a
new D release or a new beta is often not tweeted until days
later. Hot discussion and topics are not mentioned on the twitter
account not even  D weekly update by Adam are spared.

Talking of 'This Week in D'(TWiD). What if TWiD became D's
programming blog? People other than Adam can make contributions
and when he is late or gone on holiday or got overwhelmed,
someone else can take over. Hot discussions can be summarised on
the blog as well. New releases and betas should be announced on
the programming blog.

I think I am in love with the D language. I have only been here
for a short while and my views stand to be corrected.