Presentation Intro to D: What works?

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 26 04:23:36 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 25 June 2015 at 12:39:11 UTC, qznc wrote:
> Looks like I will give a talk about D to our local Functional
> Programming User Group in August. Feel free to join, if you can
> be in Karlsruhe, Germany:
>
> http://www.meetup.com/de/The-Karlsruhe-Functional-Programmers-Meetup-Group/events/223455553/
>
> As far as I know, pretty much nobody there knows anything about
> D. So I need to start with some general introduction. My
> current plan is to basically talk through the dlang.org
> frontpage. Modern convenience. Modeling power. Native
> efficiency.
>
> I guess others here have done such intros already. What works?
> What doesn't? What are the usually questions you get from
> newbies? Any evangelism tips?

Depends on where the newbies are coming from, C, C++, Java,
Python? Would your audience be interested in templates? A big
thing in D are structs, they are darn useful. Structs, ranges,
templates, component programming and chaining.

My only evangelism tip is not to be evangelistic about D. Present
it with warts and all.