End of life for Windows Server 2003 R2 is July 14, 2015

Kapps via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 26 09:17:12 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 25 June 2015 at 19:58:14 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 25/06/15 18:46, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> Heh, that's awesome actually :)  Got a source for that?
>
> Windows 8 was a big failure. Windows 10 is looking much better,
> I think it will get a much higher adaption rate.

Off-topic, but Windows 10 release will be rather questionable I
think. It's only a month away and the preview is still very
buggy. Start menu crashing and disappearing or just freezing,
search being slow, random hangs, settings resetting, weird issues
like the lock screen just disappearing and showing your windows
underneath it on one monitor, explorer opening up new windows
randomly, and various other issues. And that's only the ones I've
found while using the preview, not even considering some of the
design decisions. With less than a month to get it finished, it
may be rather hit or miss upon release, especially for such a
critical update needed to restore faith after Windows 8...
(Though, I actually particularly liked Windows 8.1, it improved
performance in a lot of ways and added some nice built-in
features)

And of course, some decisions that are guaranteed to annoy
people, such as the Windows Defender real-time protection
setting: "You can turn this setting off temporarily, but if it's
off for a while we'll turn it back on automatically". Still, it
is an improvement if you didn't like 8, so we'll see how the
release goes.