std.experimental.testing PR review

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 27 13:42:51 PDT 2015

On 26/06/15 17:46, Dicebot wrote:

> Totally. Remember - this is effectively will make specific API a
> language standard which will propagate it to all sort of 3d party
> libraries.

I don't mind :)

> I find it unacceptably unreadable and verbose, to the point
> it will make working with those libraries considerably harder.
>
> I use `test!"=="(a. b)` which is:
> - short
> - robust (supports any binary operator D has)
> - straight to the point (it is about testing, not about what program
> should/must do)

I would say that using strings as template parameters for everything in
D is really ugly and a sign of abuse. Soon all D code will be contained
in a single string literal passed to some function.

> The fact that examples uncourage UFCS abuse makes it even worse.
> Something that looks like this:
>
> `2.timesTwo.shouldEqual(4)`
>
> .. gets immediately marked as garbage in my book.

So what do you UFCS should be used for, only for arrays/ranges?

> There are also things like `shouldBeFalse` and `shouldBeTrue`. I
> couldn't imagine anyone seriously using names like that until I have
> examined that proposal.

You need to try Ruby ;)

--
/Jacob Carlborg