version: multiple conditions

bitwise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 29 08:30:52 PDT 2015

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 00:10:28 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 6/25/2015 11:06 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>> This pattern does appear frequently in your compiler code, are you for
>> or
>> against seeing it in D?
>
> Against. A lot of the compiler code is very, very old, and is not
> representative of modern thinking. I've also been pretty successful at
> removing that stuff from the front end, and as you know, have been
> working on the backend as well.

FWIW, I've thought through most of my use cases, and it seems I can do
without this feature(both mine and Daniels suggestions). This is mainly
because I've decided to write anything close to the system in C++. If/When
the day comes that system APIs are written in D, this may change, but I
don't see this happening in the foreseeable future. IMO, the D community's
time would be better spent improving D/C++ interop than trying to make D a
systems language. At a glance, I don't see a binding for OpenCV or FBX
SDK, and although there are many bindings for OpenGL and such, I wouldn't
feel safe relying on them to be up to date or complete. The lesser evil
clearly seems to be writing some C++.

     Bit