Phobos addition formal review: std.experimental.allocator

jmh530 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 29 10:32:33 PDT 2015

On Friday, 26 June 2015 at 13:35:34 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
It is ok to use that time for any
> additional comments :P

I would second the suggestion for improvement in the
documentation. The overview linked to in the original post is
written assuming advanced programming knowledge. My understanding
of allocation is pretty much limited to something could be on
stack or heap (I had to Google what an allocator was). So I would
say it could be improved by adding some explanation of the basics
and why to use allocators instead of new or other techniques.

I had seen this when it was originally posted two weeks ago, but
I came back around to read it again today. What brought me to
look it over again was that I had come across the
std.container.array package and I didn't understand how it was
different from the built-in array (I still don't have a very good
understanding there, but a little better). Anyway, as I was
searching through the Learn forum, I came across a post from 2011
saying that std.container might change in the future based on
Andrei's work on allocators. I take it this is the work it was
referring to (especially after looking at the wikipedia page for
allocators).

With that I think I only have two questions. Am I correct that
the makeArray function is for allocating a dynamic array and not
an std.container Array? Are there plans to refactor std.container
with std.allocator in mind?