Attempt to get rid of phobos Makefiles, using reggae

Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 29 11:10:27 PDT 2015

On 29-Jun-2015 13:35, Atila Neves wrote:
[snip]

> The result of all this (and many bug discoveries trying to copy
> posix.mak) is this:
>
> https://github.com/atilaneves/phobos/blob/reggae/reggaefile.d
>
> It doesn't completely replicate the UT build with its shared library (I
> got lazy), but... right now it builds both static and shard phobos,
> creates the symlinks just like posix.mak, _and_ does both unit tests
> runs (debug and release), building the unit tests binaries in the
> process. Oh, and the html documentation too. I tested with the make,
> ninja and binary backends, and everything seems to work. I wouldn't be
> surprised if there are still bugs, especially with the binary backend.
>
> Worth making a PR for? The PR would only add this file, it wouldn't
> change anything about the current build, but could be used for testing
> purposes in the meanwhile.

Awesome! Since raggae has Makefile backend it seems to me that we may
switch over to raggae and keep generated Makefiles as a transitional
measure.

Ideally if reggae doesn't depend on Phobos/druntime (e.g. builds with
-betterC switch) then Makefile has no use at all - builds are completely
bootstrappable.

--
Dmitry Olshansky