Attempt to get rid of phobos Makefiles, using reggae

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 29 11:56:33 PDT 2015

On Monday, 29 June 2015 at 16:52:34 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, 29 June 2015 at 12:06:39 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> I wouldn't do a PR until the outputs are exactly the same, I
>> posted this trying to gauge what the interest / opinions were.
>
> Moving away from Makefiles to something like this definitely
> appeals to me (editing the makefiles is _not_ fun, and sadly,
> in spite of how bad it is, posix.mak is far less of a pain than
> win32.mak). However, as far as actually moving away from the
> Makefiles goes, you'd have to convince Walter and Andrei, and I
> don't know how convincible they are or aren't. And I don't
> think that we really want to have multiple ways to build the
> standard D toolchain, since then that increases maintenance to
> keep them in line with one another. So, if we have raggae
> builds (or anything like it) for the D toolchain, then I think
> that we need to fully move over to them and ditch the makefiles
> altogether.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Well, yes, the idea would be to ultimately move away from the
current makefiles (all 3 of them). And yes, that would mean
convincing the big two. But I had to show how it'd look like
first instead of just saying "we should get rid of the
makefiles". The idea behind adding the file if a PR is ever
approved is so enough people use it and find any other lurking
bugs. Once proven to work, the switch would be made.

Even if it never happens, this exercise has only ironed out bugs
for reggae so it was still worthwhile.

Atila