Attempt to get rid of phobos Makefiles, using reggae

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 30 03:53:49 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 30 June 2015 at 01:07:33 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Monday, 29 June 2015 at 18:59:31 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, those who want reggae can use it, and the makefile can
>>> remain the default for now.  I can't wait to ditch the
>>> makefiles.

>>> You could probably use the auto-tester to test reggae: simply
>>> add the reggae source to your PR, build it with a patched
>>> makefile, and then use reggae to build druntime/phobos.  I've
>>> used the auto-tester to test a couple PRs for various OSs
>>> that I don't have, especially OS X.
>>
>> You mean make a posix.mak that actually calls reggae instead?
>> Hmm... I guess that's doable. Otherwise I'd have to edit the
>> script the auto-tester is using.
>
> Yes, submit a PR that adds the reggae source and modifies the
> existing druntime or phobos posix.mak to build reggae, then
> runs reggae to build druntime/phobos, using the linked reggae
> file.  Once you're sure it all works, you can delete the reggae
> source and the makefile modifications and simply submit the
> single reggae file that you know works, because you just tested
> it on the auto-tester.
>
>> I'm not sure that'd guarantee the same output though.
>
> If you follow the process above, I don't see why not.

Well, for instance my extra html files. If there's no explicit
check (and there probably isn't) the auto-tester will be fine
with it but the build isn't actually the same. Things... can
happen. Maybe anything that doesn't break the auto-tester doesn't
matter, it wouldn't be a crazy opinion to have.

Atila