Standard GUI framework inspired by Qt

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Mar 4 21:17:44 PST 2015

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 14:28:49 +0000, Jonas Drewsen wrote:

> On Tuesday, 3 March 2015 at 23:45:36 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 20:21:29 +0000, Jonas Drewsen wrote:
>>
>>> I've done a GUI toolkit with CSS support in D for my editor.
>>> Should probably put it on github at some point.
>>>
>>> http://deadcodedev.steamwinter.com/
>>
>> to be honest, it's the most wanted part for me. ;-) i don't need the
>> editor, but i definitely want to take a look at it's gui, 'cause i'm
>> too lazy to finish any of my own libraries (i HATE writing gui
>> libraries! ;-).
>
> Yeah. Driving people away from the editor they know is a tough quest.
> Luckily that is not my goal.

btw, your editor looks great, it just doesn't fit into my workflow, where
all tools required to use tty. ;-)

> Writing GUI libraries is definitely a lot of work and have a lot of
> corner cases so I completely agree that it is not the most fun thing to
> do. On top of that it is hard to do proper automated tests for GUI.

as for me, it's also very hard to decide what scope of GUI library should
be. i.e. is this library just for me, so i can expose internals and
simply add the comment "don't change this thing" to the code? is this a
simple library with limited set of controls, or i want it to be
infinitely extendable? or should i hide everything and go with strict
"everything is done by sending a message" policy?

i think that this is a known problem for "let's write a library" way of
thinking. i.e. when library was not born out of necessity: "hey, i need a
GUI for this program! let's write a simplest GUI i can and go on with the
main code!"