Standard GUI framework inspired by Qt

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 6 01:35:58 PST 2015

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 08:09:15 +0000, Kagamin wrote:

> On Thursday, 5 March 2015 at 15:01:20 UTC, ketmar wrote:
>> oh, really? so no deep widget ierarchies, no way to position the widget
>> (as we doesn't store it's coordinates), no way to... no way to define
>> anything. that's will be great GUI!
>
> To position a widget you invoke a backend function on a widget handle
> with desired coordinates.

smells like windows.

>> by the way. what is "backend widget handle" for OpenGL, for example?
>> ah,
>> i see, your idea of "backend" is that backend implements the whole
>> widget system.
>
> Yes, the point is to make frontend agnostic about backend implementation
> details. If you want to write entire widget system from scratch, like
> FLTK, that goes to a backend.

so you proposing to throw frontend away, as the only thing that "frontend"
keeps is a some handle, that's all. and what the sense of such "frontend"?

besides, your arch is not portable at all. i.e. to port it to another
graphic system author has to rewrite the whole thing (as 99% of code is
in "backend", and have to be rewritten). so it's easier to drop all that
mess and just write direct X11 calls. that's exactly what you are
proposing: a single "backend" handle and alot of "frontend" functions
that manipulates that handle.