What Features Should A GUI toolkit have?

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 6 01:50:29 PST 2015

On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 06:02:17 UTC, Taylor Hillegeist wrote:
> -Widgets-
> Personally I think that all layout items like HBar should be
> children of widget that way i can make more modular component,
> but that's just my opinion.

For user components, a UserControl is provided
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.usercontrol.aspx
it can have layout inside and functionality focused on support
for composite user components.

> -layout-
> I have a dream H/VBar + align/distribution/wrap options.

That's how GTK works. Layouts can be provided separately, anchors
is the simplest one, boxes is the most flexible.

> I don't have an opinion on thread safe guis.

If you really need it, you can incapsulate thread-safety in a
ViewModel (MVVM), while View will remain single-threaded.