What Features Should A GUI toolkit have?

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 6 02:42:24 PST 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 10:01 +0000, via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> Components are coming to HTML5:
>
> […]
>
> It could work out nicely.

On the other hand for a non-browser UI, it doesn't really make sense!

Personally I cannot see a new D implemented graphics system and GUI
system on top of it being anything more than hobby project there is
not enough resource or traction with D to compete against Qt. Hate it
or really hate it, Qt is currently the leader in Linux, UNIX (inc
OSX), Windows agnostic graphics and GUI.

It would be really good if there were resource, especially given the
demise of OpenGL and OpenCL in the face of Vulkan, since this would be
an opportunity for D to excel. But without serious dosh, I can't see
it happening: consider the amount of money spent on JavaFX.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk