What Features Should A GUI toolkit have?

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 6 04:30:35 PST 2015

On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 11:30:58 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 10:42:37 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> On Fri, 2015-03-06 at 10:01 +0000, via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>> […]
>>> Components are coming to HTML5:
>>>
>>> […]
>>>
>>> It could work out nicely.
>>>

>> On the other hand for a non-browser UI, it doesn't really make
>> sense!
>
> Not sure what you mean by a "non-browser UI". You need a model,
> a layout engine, a composition engine and know-how. Competing
> with browser engines is a lot of work.
>
> It is going to be very hard to compete with reusable UI
> components implemented in html+javascript, when they have
> worked out the quirks, due to:
>
> 1. ease of development
> 2. ease of modification
> 3. volume of UI components
> 4. styling know-how
> 5. integration
> 6. installed base
>
> What you need is a reactive layer that access native data. And
> webtech provides the basic building blocks for it, thanks to
> the requirements of asm.js/pnacl.

I am hoping mobile applications and application stores bring an
end to the non-sense of bending documents into applications.

Or that we get to have the second comeback of XHTML, and finally
have something like XAML on the browser, which was XHTML original
idea.

--
Paulo