I wondered what characters are allowed for delimiters in a delimited string

anonymous via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 6 04:36:18 PST 2015

On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 01:44:30 UTC, Philip Miess wrote:
> The spec seemed a little loose, so I tried the first 256 to see.
>
> It is everything minus letters, null and control-z, opening
> brackets
> braces, parenthesis & whitespace

Opening brackets, braces, and parenthesis are allowed; the
'MatchingDelimiter's are the closing variants: q"[foo]" q"{foo}"
q"(foo)"

[...]
> The exclusion of ·(183) and º (186) surprised me since they
> didn't look
> like letters.

186 (U+00BA MASCULINE ORDINAL INDICATOR) is in the Unicode
category 'Letter, Other' [1], like 170 (U+00AA FEMININE ORDINAL
INDICATOR).

183 (U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT) is in 'Punctuation, Other' [2], though.