DIP75 - Release Process

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 7 11:00:39 PST 2015

Nice to see more attention to this topic. On a negative side, it
doesn't seem to be that different from what we already supposed
to have (though it seems to imply getting rid of those annoying
cherry-picks, if yes, that is pretty good)

In my opinion two main problems with proposed scheme are these:

1) Making solid release takes weeks from branching point. Fitting
into strict schedule doesn't seem to be possible with current
available resources, not without compromising regression control.

2) Separation between bug-fixes and feature additions is
impractical in D reality. I can't remember when I had upgrade
issues because of new features - it is almost always a legitimate
fix that breaks the code. It is backwards compatibility that
should define difference between major and minor versions, not
"feature vs bugfix".

Good long-term release process should also take into account that
GDC is naturally bound to GCC release cycle and having
drastically different feature set introduces risk of
fragmentation.