[dmd-internals] DMD now requires a working D compiler to be build

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 9 00:30:35 PDT 2015

"Walter Bright"  wrote in message news:mdjh6g$215p$1 at digitalmars.com...

> Not really. I never had to compile one one machine and copy the result
> onto another.

It doesn't have to be cross-architecture to be a cross compiler.

> How easy it is to copy the files over would decide which method is more
> convenient. Besides, it is likely the vast majority of the work would be
> in the back end, which remains in C++.

I guess that makes sense.  It should be easier to apply a backend patch to
two versions than it would be with a large frontend patch.

Anyway, after the new platform is brought up, the original 2.067 still won't
be able to target it and will therefore no longer be a suitable minimum host
compiler version. This could be fixed by creating a point release for 2.067
that includes the new platform support, or by bumping the version
requirement to the latest release.  If we're talking months, then a point
release is reasonable.  If 2.067 is years old by then, it's probably best to
bump the requirement.

I think keeping the same minimum version the same for at least ~1 year
should be reasonable.