[dmd-internals] DMD now requires a working D compiler to be build

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 9 01:44:55 PDT 2015

On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 00:12:47 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> On 3/8/2015 8:43 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>> "Walter Bright"  wrote in message news:mdj3l3$1hup$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>
>>> Never needed to build a cross compiler.
>>
>> You did when adding 64-bit targets.  ie dmd is a 32->64 and 64->32
>> cross compiler.
>
> Not really. I never had to compile one one machine and copy the result
> onto another.

so do you mean that if i need to compile under GNU/Linux, but have
compiler to produce windows PE, that means that i'm not doing cross-
compile? no, i will not copy the resulting PE anywhere, i'll test it
right on the same box.

a very interesting definition of cross-compilation and cross-compilers...