[dmd-internals] DMD now requires a working D compiler to be build

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 9 03:38:45 PDT 2015

On Monday, 9 March 2015 at 04:01:26 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "Vladimir Panteleev"  wrote in message
> news:sjlsydcjflglxpwuscpk at forum.dlang.org...
>
>> OK, then can a file please be added to the DMD source repo
>> which indicates which host DMD version is needed to build it?
>
> This seems reasonable.  We could also add a static assert to
> provide a helpful error message when attempting to build with
> older versions

A machine-readable version is preferable because then Digger can
consult it to know which pre-built DMD version to fetch.

If we had somewhere a machine-readable list of all DMD releases
with binaries for major platforms plus release dates, it could
use that as well, and just use the latest stable release for the
point in time which the source code to be built is from.