[dmd-internals] DMD now requires a working D compiler to be build

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 10 19:10:12 PDT 2015

On 3/10/15 5:06 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu"  wrote in message
> news:mdnvct$1avc$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> I think that's 2.066.1, right?
>
> 2.066.1 is enough to build idgen.d, but it can't build ddmd on all
> platforms.  Among other things, the varargs fixes are missing.

But this is weird - a release being built is required for building, um,
itself?

I do understand that idgen is a separate executable but the simple view
is that if dmd 2.067 requires dmd being present, the preexisting dmd
can't be 2.067.

Or I'm misunderstanding something. The short version is the simpler the
bootstrapping the better.

Andrei