DIP75 - Release Process

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 10 22:43:16 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 11 March 2015 at 05:16:38 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> That doesn't ensure e.g. version compatibility etc. I repeat:
> my vision is to make vibe readily available with the D
> distribution, just like druntime and phobos. Of course dub is
> nice to include as well but not my main focus here.

Andrei,

Including Dub is MUCH more important than including Vibe.

I am speaking from my limited experience, so please correct me if
I'm wrong, but:

First, Vibe by itself will almost always not be enough. If you
want to use Vibe, you'll also want the first-party and
third-party add-ons to it, available on code.dlang.org. If you
want database drivers, socket.io, protobuf, etc. etc. you will
need to get them anyway via Dub.

Second, I don't know what's the current status of things, but two
years ago the plan was that Vibe is too monolithic, and it needs
to be split up into a core event system, networking / web server
component, and HTML templating component. You can use Vibe for
non-HTTP stuff, too.

Furthermore, Vibe is a library, with its own possibly-unstable
API. Some projects may want to use an older version of Vibe with
a newer version of the compiler. This is hypothetical, correct me
if I'm wrong.

I think your vision of including Vibe with D is misguided.
Ripping out just the core of what is now an ecosystem may even be
a faux pas. Including Vibe without Dub is certainly a mistake,
because inter-component versioning relies on Dub. And if you have
Dub, Vibe and its components (including any older versions of
such) are, like I said, a command away.