DIP75 - Release Process

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 10 23:52:50 PDT 2015

On Wednesday, 11 March 2015 at 06:45:17 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 3/10/15 11:32 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 11 March 2015 at 06:30:52 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> One command away is too much.
>>
>> Not when the build tool will fetch dependencies as part of the
>> build
>> process anyway. A 10-second wait is not worth the
>> disadvantages of
>> moving Vibe into D.
>
> Vladimir, please work with me on this. This is clearly
> subjective so it's really what you believe is good vs. what I
> believe is good. I want to make sure vibe releases are in sync
> and guaranteed to work with dmd, thus making for a perfectly
> smooth experience.
>
> Don't forget things like the IE icon being on the desktop or
> not, or the default search engine, or the default homepage -
> all are big things although technically alternatives were
> always a few seconds away.
>
> I don't have logical arguments, this could go either way. So
> work with me on this. Thanks.

As I have already argued, Vibe is only a piece of the puzzle.

I can only urge you to consult with someone deeply involved with
Vibe (e.g. Sonke), as well as someone who uses Vibe and Dub
heavily in production, before forcing a decision. It's clear that
neither of us have enough direct experience with these projects
to make a fully informed decision.

As you know, including IE with Windows was not something
Microsoft got away with scot-free.