DIP75 - Release Process

Kapps via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Mar 12 09:04:50 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 12 March 2015 at 07:44:01 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2015-03-11 17:27, Anon wrote:
>
>> Ignoring that for a moment, where does it stop? Do we include
>> an
>> editor? [sarcasm] Why not? Every D developer needs to edit
>> their
>> code! Let's go ahead and call Eclipse+DDT the "standard" D
>> editor,
>> and bundle that with dmd. [/sarcasm]
>
> I don't see why not. Both Microsoft and Apple ship an IDE with
> their SDK's.

The SDKs ship with Visual Studio, not the other way around. Both
the Windows SDK and .NET Framework/SDK are separate products. The
.NET Framework itself includes the .NET compiler, which Visual
Studio uses, and the Windows SDK includes cl.exe which is the
C/C++ compiler. Neither require Visual Studio.

It's good to have a single installer that includes everything you
need to get started (dmd, dub, IDE / IDE plugin) like Visual
Studio is (cl/csc, Nuget, VS), but the compiler itself should
definitely not ship with an IDE.