A few notes on choosing between Go and D for a quick project

weaselcat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 13 01:17:32 PDT 2015

On Friday, 13 March 2015 at 00:20:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> ## some or all of @safe, immutable, pure should be the default
> # libraries, projects should be prominently listed and nurtured
+1
> # single-idea advantage; D seems to embody too many ideas at
> once
> ## concurrency?
> ## networking?
> ## generics?
> ## interoperability with C and C++?
> ## focus on one!
-1

> General feeling: "I don't feel smart enough for D and am
> looking for a quick way to accomplish a goal.
+1

@safe by default would be a great change(and IMHO, immutable by
default. But I highly doubt that would ever get through.)

I don't think the single idea part is a good suggestion. There's
nothing wrong with a language featuring multiple
paradigms/focusing on multiple areas as long as they're all well
implemented(and D does this reasonably well!)

But I do agree with the "I don't feel smart enough for D." I
really don't know how to fix this, maybe it's just a symptom of
the above - I don't really feel smart enough for C++ and I've
been using it for years : )

Getting prominent D projects more recognition should be a really
high priority.